Package and Mail Theft Prevention Tips
Posted By rdarby on May 10, 2019
To protect your mail and packages from theft, below are some helpful hints.
Package Theft Prevention
- Always track your package deliveries so that you know when they are estimated to arrive at your home.
- Make sure that someone is home to receive the delivery, or that a trusted neighbor is available to receive the package on your behalf.
- Never leave your deliveries unattended in front of your door.
- If they are delivering a package, make sure they leave it in front of your door and not in front of the building entrance.
- Always require a signature when having items delivered.
Mail Theft Prevention
- Always use a U.S. Postal collection box or deposit your mail inside your local post office.
- Whether you have a home mailbox or use a post office box, you should always collect your mail on the day it is delivered
- Never leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- Mail thieves look for bank statements and credit card bills, which can be used to create counterfeit checks or fake identifications.
- Thieves also look for personal checks enclosed in utility bills or other
- Thieves take these stolen checks, remove the ink, and then
fill out the blank check with their name and desired amount.
- Never send cash or coins through the mail.
- When reordering checks, have them sent to your bank.
- When you travel, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail or have the post office hold your mail.